About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Service Manager is responsible for assisting the AGM in nightly operations of all F&B services including: quality control, managing nightly service staff and creating/implementing policy for F&B procedures (with a goal of gaining efficiencies).
The Service Manager will also assist in the management of nightly F&B staff (servers and bartenders).
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the AGM of F&B operations. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K with employer match, PTO, cell phone allowance, parking and free shows!
- Assist in maintaining the POS system
- Updating menu and staff changes
- Identifying and correcting tech issues
- Assist with keeping beverage COGS at or under the correct percentages (which includes knowledge of inventory system, understanding the ordering and organization of product and overseeing the quality of security of storage spaces)
- Assist in keeping beverage labor at or under the correct percentages
- Have a full understanding of the makeup of the rooms (storage areas, bars, theaters, kitchens) and spaces to make recommendations for procedural changes.
- Will keep Communication with to Audience Services Manager & Special Events Team in regards to special circumstances and needs (pre-shift, nightly operations and customer service)
- Oversee nightly closing procedures (proper collection of cash, verifying punch in/outs, handle nightly disciplinary issues, etc.)
- Ensure the staff is upholding local state and federal laws and codes for F&B service
- Make sure that customers are not overserved
- Correct certifications are held by required employees
- Liquor laws
- Must have minimum 2 years experience/knowledge in food service
- Expediting skill
- General kitchen knowledge
- Food handler Manager certification
- Allergy Certification
- Must have some cocktail creation experience
- Stock/open/breakdown a bar
- Must have Experience/Knowledge in Beverage Service
- Table service
- Running drinks
- Ordering drinks
- Knowledge in the processing of weekly payroll and reporting is a plus
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.