About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company’s ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe.The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
This position is for professional cooks looking to gain knowledge and experience in a fast-paced, creative atmosphere. We are looking for hard-working individuals who are enthusiastic to learn. A great attitude and hard work ethic goes a long way.
- General Knife skills
- Requires food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Requires a minimum of 1 year of closely related cooking experience, work experience in high volume or fast casual dining restaurant environment preferred
- Requires experience in a high end culinary position, i.e. Sous Chef or experience as a line cook with the ability to pass training as a sauté cook
- Requires food knowledge pertaining to Soups, Sauté, Broiler, Fry, and Pantry
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, as well as converse comfortably with individuals
- Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Requires the ability to bend, twist, and stand to perform normal job functions
- Frequently immerses hands in water and water diluted with chemical solutions
- Frequently works with sharp knives, utensils, and hot plates
- Frequently works in hot environment
- Comfortable working with a team in a fast-paced kitchen environment (theaters orders are placed at once – individual must enjoy the “rush” of a fast-paced kitchen)
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Chicagoland community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.