The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy and the world’s largest school of improvisation with theatres and training centres in Chicago, Toronto, and Hollywood. The company has full time touring ensembles, the Harold Ramis Film School, and a thriving B2B division focused on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insight. Founded in 1959, the company continues to grow rapidly in size and influence.
Front-Of-House Manager is responsible for the nightly operations as well as F&B service to Second City’s professional mainstage theatre and the F&B service to the student theatre. This position works with the other managers to oversee Hosts, Servers, Bartenders, and Box Office staff.
- Performs nightly checkouts, monthly inventories, seat the room and is available on site during events and performances.
- Keeps track of added shows and special events
- Maximize operational efficiency of the theaters
- Maintains compliance with all local codes and laws applicable to public places of entertainment
- Resolves conflicts among the staff and responds to customer care issues
- Helps to maintain the upkeep of the theaters and bars
- Remains abreast of current trends in the F & B / Hospitality industry
- Helps to maintain safety protocols, training programs and cost controls
- Assists clients with special event execution
- Ensure that all guests are seated upon arrival, working promptly and courteously with team members during peak hours.
- Regular ongoing monitoring of staff to ensure the adherence to pre-established policies and procedures; delegation of duties; inspections; willingness and ability to engage in effective communication with management, peers and associates.
- Uses a hands-on approach to management and holds team members accountable. Finds ways to cut problems and improve guest experience.
- Provides exceptional guest service; communicates with guests in order to assess service and quality.
- Ensure that credit control procedures are strictly adhered to.
- Ensure that staffing levels are correct and are not exceeded without permission.
- Circulate regularly throughout all Front of House areas, maintaining a positive profile with guests and staff.
- Must have minimum 3 years experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrates exceptional energy and stamina; upholds the highest quality standards for food, service and in-theatre management.
- POS system management, as well as Windows and Excel experience.
- Clear verbal communications skills. The ability to lead by example to build morale and spirit. Communication goals and objectives and inspire associates to achieve goals.
- Excellent time management skills
- Must be self-motivated and results oriented
- Required to work flexible hours inclusive of evenings and weekends & holidays.
- Experience in all aspects of customer service and people management.
- Ability to supervise employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Exceptional conflict resolution, negotiation, and objection handling skills.
- Able to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment
- Training, coaching, and mentoring skills are essential
- Must have money-handling skills; verify floats, deposits, debit/credit card transaction.
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our Toronto community.
Please send resumes to email@example.com with “Front of House – Manager” in subject line. No Phone Calls Please.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check.